List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: ioslaves with *any* linux apps -> it works :-))
From:       "Kurt Pfeifle" <kpfeifle () danka ! de>
Date:       2004-01-09 19:57:45

Alexander Neundorf wrote:

>>>Awesome!
>>>
>>>(May I ask for a "blue" KDE Corp. Ident. background-shot which is
>>>fit for public cosumption and makes it more recognizeable as a
>>>KDE stuff thingie?   ;-)
>

> Is this KDEish enough ?

Sure. (There is enough individualism displayed with kicker on the
        left! Kicker on the LEFT!! Looook - what these individualist,
        hobbyist byte-junkies with too much time in their hands are
        doinK! Just play with stuff and do no rrreal work!!!)

> http://www.neundorf.net/pics/swriter_gimp_fuse-kio-gateway.png

It was loading very slow... have all members of this list accessed
it at the same time?!?

> (it's 700 kb big, maybe somebody could mirror it somewhere).

Definitely -- because I've been asked to write a KDE roundup
story for a famous news site and it is likely to be slashdotted.  :-)

> What you see in the picture:
>
> konqy showing fish://alex@marathon/home/htdocs/
>
> via "Open with" and the attached desktop file I opened olaf190.jpg with gimp
> and main.html using OOo swriter :-))
>
> This can be verified by the output of ps -ax|grep gateway in the konsole on
> the upper right corner. You see the fuse_kio gateway process, and the gimp
> and swriter processes accessing files located under the mountpoint given to
> fuse_kio :-)
>
> In the lower right corner you can see the debug output of the running
> fuse_kio.

Great!
Nice explanation also.

Now let's compose/discuss more of the screenshot's dramaturgy:

* Could above explanation appear somewhere on screen? (like in
   a small kate opened, in red letters?)  Hey, we are approaching
   pure Unix recursion here  :-)
   [The screen estate to use for this could be done in the HTML
    composer part of OOo (OK, forget kate here), and the text shown
    should be written in English...  (another recursion!)]

* Optional: is it possible to show the olaf.jpg in the konqi file
   manager window?

* Optional: is it possible for you to have the hacks kendy made to
   OpenOffice on your box? (AFAIK, kendy offers OO binaries, see dot
   story). Speaking about the "KDE/Qt OOo NWF" work here....

* Optional: is it possible to have the hack David Sansome on your
   box? This would show the Gimp using a Qt or KDE style. Speaking
   about the "GTK Qt Theme Engine here"....

* Optional: is it possible to use "Plastik" (its name is the worst
   part of it) for the shot?

Yes, I know, for great screenshots you just need an excellent program.
But to cover a lot of options for world-class, history-writing shots
you need an excellent program, good dramaturgy, a lot of time and Alex    :)

But I really think the effort is worth it. The shot could serve as
an entry point to yet another story, published on one of the main
sites...

> How to do it ?

The screenshot could also show the URL of a site where you can download
the beta version of your stuff.

[....]

> Bye
> Alex