List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: Control Center or separate application? Was: Kalternatives 0.2
From:       Juanjo Alvarez <juanjux () progressive-comp ! com>
Date:       2004-01-04 1:11:19

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 09:34:40PM +0000, Simon Edwards wrote:
> mmm... I curious to know what you have been working on. A couple months ago,
> before this whole UserLinux/KDE on Debian stuff, I started work on a set of
> admin tools in python:
>
> http://www.simonzone.com/software/guidance/

At the moment I'm working (slowly because I'm very busy rigth now) with
a Qt (KDE shortly) GUI for the Debian alternatives system. Check my
messages with the subject "kalternatives 0.x" on the archive and you'll
see screenshots and links. It could still use some work ;)

I've been looking at the page of your tools (and will look at the tools
shortly), it's nice to discover that you are already working on one of
the tools I planned to do (an user friendly services manager, I don't
like ksysv too much). I'm somewhat surprised because of userconfig.py
tought because I considered kuser good enought. Of course I still have
to test it.

> > an HTML view that can include icons and text in a nice
> > layout explaining what the program launched by those icons do, very much
> > like the Windows XP control center (which I think is very good, windows
> > or not).
>
> ArkLinux currently has a control center like this. It uses HTML 'screens' with
> icons, so it's very flexible. The code is GPL IIRC. My first contact with it
> was via a Mandrake package that Texstar made. He customised and packaged it
> for Mandrake. I was impressed. :-)

It'll sure be an interesting thing to look at then for grouping
kde-debian admin tools under a single interface.

> Admin tools wouldn't too Debian specific for the most part. (I hope). A

Some of them are: kapture, kalternatives, etc.

Cheers,
        Juanjo