List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: Control Center or separate application? Was: Kalternatives 0.2
From:       Dominique Devriese <dominique.devriese () student ! kuleuven ! ac ! be>
Date:       2004-01-04 0:20:07

Simon Edwards writes:

> On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 11:06 pm, Dominique Devriese wrote:
>> Just for reference, KControl is not here to stay.  I'm sure you
>> didn't mean this, but there is of course no reason why it could not
>> be significantly modified or even ( should the need and the better
>> alternative arise ) replaced in KDE 4 and above.

> :-) Everyone agrees that something serious needs to be done about
> CC, and the only half decent idea I've seen is going the
> apple/windows/arklinux style route.  (That and throwing out a lot of
> the useless options in CC. I don't know how the gnome people managed
> to simply gnome so much without getting bogged down in constant
> arguments with people who "MUST HAVE" a certain option being in the
> GUI...)

I personally have the impression that GNOME is organised less
democratically then KDE, and the people "in charge" have managed to
push the changes through I guess.  This should happen in KDE too imho.

>> What I would like to see is an application that gets rid of the
>> ugly left navigation pane, to replace it with a more browser-like
>> feel.  I

> You just described what ArkLinux is doing. Check out:

> http://www.simonzone.com/software/kdegui/missioncontrol1.png
> http://www.simonzone.com/software/kdegui/missioncontrol2.png

( Did you mean Mandrake, cause it says everywhere "Mandrake" on the
screenshots :) )

> The code is already there and working. It would be a matter of
> someone taking some time to configure it all. I'm serious. It's 80%
> of the way there already.

The problem is that I would like to see this implemented within the
KDE Control Center.  I don't like the idea of creating a new app for
this.  However, it may be a good idea to use the arklinux stuff now,
if it really is so easy to embed in a distro, and change back to
kcontrol when/if it improves enough.

cheers
domi