List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: Control Center or separate application? Was: Kalternatives 0.2
From:       Dominique Devriese <dominique.devriese () student ! kuleuven ! ac ! be>
Date:       2004-01-03 23:16:54

Claes Holmerson writes:

>> > Since it is easier to create HTML for most people, and more
>> > people are knowledgable with it, I think we would see some
>> > interesting prototyping of user interfaces in that case.
>>
>> Perhaps, but it would also be actually more difficult to do more
>> advanced things like the ones that are done in many of the current
>> KControl Modules.

> I think it would be more difficult to implement interactivity of
> more advanced kind. But I think it would be easier to create
> customized interfaces. If a sysadmin would like to expose only a few
> modules, he could create a html page embedding them, and then users
> could easier find them.

Perhaps, but most of them don't need that kind of changes.  I think
most would be more than happy if they can add and remove some modules,
and be done with it.

>> > I realise that there are important security considerations to
>> > deal with, but perhaps embedded kparts could be signed in this
>> > scenario.
>>
>> KParts can be trusted, simply because they are installed on the
>> user's system, by someone with the appropriate rights to write in
>> one of KDE's prefixes ( $KDEDIRS ).

> I have found that if I link to a .desktop file with the <a> tag, the
> corresponding program will be started first after a warning dialog
> is shown: "Do you really want to execute...". Is there any
> difference in the level of trust in this case, compared to the one
> with embedded kparts? It seems konqueror trusts such links less than
> embedded kparts? (Since it asks this question).

Well, the thing is that locally installed binaries like KCModules,
KParts and external programs are always pretty much trusted.  The
arguments and other input given to them from a web page isn't.  It
would probably be more towards your goal to implement a scheme to tell
KDE which html pages it can trust, but I personally don't like this
idea very much.

> The ability to link to desktop files and embed kparts in html pages
> are very interesting, especially for easy customization. I would
> make it easy also to extend the interface with more descriptions.

Yes, but I really don't see why this cannot be done within KControl,
and with the current mechanisms ( put descriptions in the .desktop
files describing the KCM, remove or add .desktop files to determine
what KCM's to show ).

cheers
domi