List:       kde-cygwin
Subject:    Autoconf error compiling KDE-cygwin
From:       David Fraser <davidf () sjsoft ! com>
Date:       2002-08-30 16:11:05

Hi
I am having difficulty compiling KDE-cygwin. I am using the latest CVS
version
When I run make -f Makefile.cvs in kdelibs, I get the following results:

This Makefile is only for the CVS repository
This will be deleted before making the distribution

*** Creating acinclude.m4
!!! If you get recursion errors from autoconf, it is advisable to set the
    environment variable M4 to something including "--nesting-limit=500"
*** Creating list of subdirectories
*** Creating configure.in
*** Creating aclocal.m4
*** Creating configure
configure.in:1731: error: m4_popdef: undefined macro: AC_Dest
autoconf/status.m4:831: AC_CONFIG_FILES is expanded from...
configure.in:1731: the top level
make[1]: *** [cvs] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

I thought it was the problem with recursion mentioned, so I
tried saying export M4="--nesting-limit=500" but then got the following:

This Makefile is only for the CVS repository
This will be deleted before making the distribution

*** Creating acinclude.m4
!!! If you get recursion errors from autoconf, it is advisable to set the
    environment variable M4 to something including "--nesting-limit=500"
*** Creating list of subdirectories
*** Creating configure.in
                *** Creating aclocal.m4
*** Creating configure
--nesting--limit=500: not found
autom4te: need GNU m4 1.4 or later: --nesting--limit=500
make[1]: *** [cvs] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

Presumably either it is not the recursion problem, or I have
misunderstood how
to set M4. The error is returned by autoconf.
I am using autoconf 2.53a. Is it possible to do this, or do I need to
downgrade to 2.1...?
I seem to remember some problem with KDE and later autoconf versions.