List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Qt versus threading
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-09-07 18:04:25

On Friday 07 September 2001 03:58 am, Rik Hemsley wrote:
> #if Alex Zepeda
>
> > Yes, sort-of.  With any -RELEASE or -STABLE (as of now) version of
> > FreeBSD, I don't think the threading stuff works (as) well, and I'm not
> > sure how actively it's being developed.  With -curent however, I have
> > noticed a bunch of bug fixes in the past few months or so.  When I
> > finally get kdelibs+base built I'll see if anything works *here*.
>
> I think it's quite important that we can get FreeBSD's thread support
> working with KDE and Qt, otherwise FreeBSD will be the only platform
> where it doesn't work and we will be stuck in a position where we
> either ban QThread for the lifetime of KDE 3 (argh ! not again !)
> or drop FreeBSD support.

We could make thread-support "optional" in the sense that if your platform
doesn't have it, you might not be able to use all applications. It should
only be optional on a per-platform basis then. Otherwise it would split a
platform in two BC-wise.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
KDE, delivering structural relieve to a desktop near you now!