List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Qt versus threading
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-09-07 18:07:16

On Friday 07 September 2001 19:39, Michael Brade wrote:
> > > or drop FreeBSD support.
> >
> > Would be bad, too :(
>
> Well, but regarding how long KDE 3.x will exist (much longer than 14
> months) it makes no sense to drop multithreading in favor of FreeBSD. So
> I'd say drop FreeBSD support until they release -current and then add it
> back to KDE 3.x's list of supported systems.

Eh? I think that is not really a feasible option. You would upset way too
many people by doing so.

Dropping MT support is no option either IMO, though.

Two other options I can think of:
- Enable MT by default, but make KDE still run without MT. Difference is that
one needs to configure --disable-mt as opposed to the old --enable-mt. Not
sure how much problems that gives for maintenance though, this might be
technically troublesome.

- Look into the problems and fix Qt. From what I understood in this thread
FreeBSD -stable uses threads in a vastly different way from -current, but
both do support threads in the first place. Hence, Qt should detect whether
one runs -stable or -current. If I misunderstood something this might not be
an option either.
Maybe Bradley can shed some light here on the chances to fix -stable (and
whether TrollTech plans to do so) ?

I really hope one of these options (or something else that I didn't think of)
can be applied, because I fully share the thoughts of Rik, Christoph, Michael
and many others that we need a MT-enabled KDE this time.
If that means dropping a platform we may need to reconsider that, though,
because that's the only thing that IMO is not worth it. But if it can be
fixed or worked around on those single platforms, while offering true MT on
most systems, I'd favour that.

Martijn