List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Qt versus threading
From:       Bradley T Hughes <bhughes () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2001-09-06 12:57:22

On Thursday 06 September 2001 14:44, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 12:58:56AM -0700, Alex Zepeda wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 08:13:05PM +0200, Lauri Watts wrote:
> > > I'd like to back this up on FreeBSD (-stable in my case, not
> > > -current).
> >
> > Well I don't see any hope on getting this to work with -stable.
> > Mainly there's little if any development going on WRT threads on
> > -stable.
>
> Do I understand you correctly that this means that threading on FreeBSD
> (stable) is not reliable and working at all? (meaning there is a problem
> on the system level) If yes then I think we should re-consider enabling
> threads by default if the price for it is the loss of a platform.

At some points along the 4.x timeline, threading has had some embarrassing
breaks.  Mostly dealing with recursive mutexes though.  Since I develop on
FreeBSD, and practically wrote the thread support in Qt, I can say that
threading on FreeBSD works quite well, provided you're using 4.3 and
higher :)

> > mutex_destroy failure sounds a bit like a KDE end problem, no?  IIRC
> > you can't recursively lock something w/ FreeBSD, but this poses no
> > problem with Linux.
>
> Yes, this appears to be a general problem (I get it on linux, too) .
> As KDE does not do anything thread related I believe it is either a
> Qt or pthread bug.

This probably comes from applications that create a QApplication but never
call exec().  I'm just guessing though...

> > > I've discussed this with the KDE on FreeBSD port maintainer, and
> > > with some of the developers, nobody is very optimistic this can be
> > > made to work, with threading.
> >
> > Has anyone tried a recent -current box?  Between school, work and
> > fighting PacBell Internet I haven't been able to do much of anything,
> > let alone even finish kdelibs (which did die in khtml somewhere).
> > Either way it's in better shape than say GnuCash (I'd never seen a
> > configure script trigger an rtld assert trap before, but I guess
> > there's a first for everything).
>
> Hehehe
>
> Simon

Bradley T. Hughes <bhughes@trolltech.com>
Trolltech AS - Waldemar Thranes gt. 98 N-0175 Oslo, Norway
Office: +47 21604892
Mobile: +47 92019781