List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Sugestion: KStdErrorMessages
From:       Alex Zepeda <jazepeda () pacbell ! net>
Date:       2001-09-01 19:21:52

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 09:56:28AM +0200, Martijn Klingens wrote:

> I don't know if that solves the problem of being able to report errors
> without messagebox. I think there should be an error handler that can be
> specified with a default implementation that shows a messagebox, but can be
> overridden in an app. My initial thought of KNotify is not that good
> actually, because errors are often interactive (yes/no, ok/cancel, etc.). Any
> ideas on how to improve this?

My biggest concern would be a standard class to handle error numbers and
strings.  Once the groundwork for this is laid down, more work can be put
forth for a standard UI part.  Perhaps some sort of KDialog (say
KErrorDialog) that calls KNotify for interactive errors, checks to see
whether it should grab the focus, and just using KNotify for non GUI apps.
Of course a "configure" button should be present too so one can set:

* this error for this application will always/never grab focus
* all errors for this application will always/never grab focus
* this error for all application will always/never grab focus
* all errrors will always/never grab focus

> Shell scripts using DCOP need a way to interact with message boxes as well,
> so it must be standardized somewhere. But how? And where?

- alex