List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Sugestion: KStdErrorMessages
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-08-29 7:56:28

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Alex Zepeda wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 08:20:04PM +0200, Martijn Klingens wrote:
>
> > So a class KError might be useful, with additional static StdErrors.
>
> Maybe a class that could be cast to a QString (and provide an
> internationalized error message) and compared to an integer or enum (i.e.
> if kerr == KDE_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND.  Hmm.

I don't know if that solves the problem of being able to report errors
without messagebox. I think there should be an error handler that can be
specified with a default implementation that shows a messagebox, but can be
overridden in an app. My initial thought of KNotify is not that good
actually, because errors are often interactive (yes/no, ok/cancel, etc.). Any
ideas on how to improve this?

Shell scripts using DCOP need a way to interact with message boxes as well,
so it must be standardized somewhere. But how? And where?

> Either way some sort of mapping errors to consistant strings is a good
> thing as it promotes uniformity.

Indeed.

Martijn