List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Dual language interface
From:       "Thomas Diehl" <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-08-30 15:03:35

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001 16:44:49 +0200 (SAST), Dwayne Bailey wrote:

>Someone raised this idea with me.  Having the interface in one language
>but allowing a user to view the original text (or another language
>perhaps) as tooltip?
>
>Why would this be usefull?  In our Xhosa translation it would be great if
>a user could have a look at what was originally written in english if the
>Xhosa is not clear enough.

There has been a long standing wish for a standard menu entry that
would allow switch the language for individual apps (without messing
around with config files). I guess if we could get this implemented it
may be a solution for your problem as well.

It would also very helpful in several other situations (quoting from a
msg to Hans Petter Bieker on this subject ;-):

* Every time somebody tries to report a bug or looks for help in the
mailinglists, newsgroups, IRC (s)he is supposed to give the English
menu entries. (In international workgroups it could be the same with
other languages.)

* Sometimes just the translation of one program (or one menu) is
unclear or plain bad and you would like to see another one or just know
the original terms.

* Or you are working on the machine of somebody else and don't want to
change the system settings.

* Sometimes you need to switch for documentation purposes or to make a
few snapshots.

* And sometimes you just want to show off at a CeBIT booth or in a
international crowd how incredible flexible KDE really is. ;-)

The functionality is already there via the config files (at least if
one is prepared to restart the program). So why not make it accessible
to everybody via a standard menu entry?

Regards,

Thomas

---