List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: C++ file extensions (was Re: qt-copy updated)
From:       Michael Matz <matz () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-08-30 4:35:18

Hi,

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Malte Starostik wrote:
> > Yes, I'm in favour of that.
> <AOL>Me too</AOL>
> Serisously, .C is sometimes even hard to distinguish from .c (think of
> all-night hacks :)
> While doing so, what about renaming all .cc files to .cpp too? (Or vice versa
> if a more people like that...)
> I know, these things are up to the developer who initially creates a file or
> a directory, but if we change .C, why not switch to a consistent naming
> scheme throughout cvs.kde.org?
> I'd like to say I volunteer to do this boring thing, but maybe it's better to
> rename the files on the server.

If such action is taken _at all_, then moving on the server.  The only
exception would be, if the only developer of that file would move it (note
the word "only"), if he doesn't care for history.  Of course this
all brings interesting problems with it, like the difficulty of applying
patches of former versions and similar things.

> So, if someone tells me how the actual dir structure on the server
> looks like, I'd at least provide a script to do the renaming and

Like every RCS repo: a number of directories with files *,v, where * is
the checked out name.  Each non attic-dir can possibly hold an Attic/ dir
with also such files and no subdirs.  One might rename files there too, or
not.  Don't touch the CVSROOT/ directory.

Ciao,
Michael.