List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KColorDialog (everybody loves screenshots)
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2001-08-29 19:34:29

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 11:31:43AM -0700, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 August 2001 11:01 am, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > >
> > > Redundant means that the information is available through other means
> > > already. Ths is not the case, the color name is additional information
> > > and is not available by any other means. Therefore it should stay,
> >
> > Correct argument, Lenny showed us not that its redundent, but more why its
> > not correctly implemented and will (for practical reasons) never be.
>
> The name is provided in the context of the palette, (without that context you
> have a 1->N mapping between color->name), if the lookup of a color-name
> doesn't work then that should be fixed.
>
> > This is not called redundant, its called a bug or unwanted feature.
>
> Whether you want a feature or not is based on your judgement, it doesn't
> follow from anything raised by Lenny.
>
> > That is why I don't agree with your conclusion that it should stay, there
> > is no extra value in keeping it.
> > And in the end a value that costs more then it is wearth gets a call for
> > redundancy ;)
>
> Colors are often identified by their name, if you have a corporate logo with
> three shades of green, you may want to name those colors "tail green", "eyes
> green" and "body green". When you now make a palette for your corporate
> colors you want to be able to see those names to correctly identify the
> colors. After all, you don't want to use "tail green" for the eyes, and you
> don't want to use "eyes green" for the tail of your logo. "tail green" is
> more informative than #02F022 and "eyes green" is more informative than
> "#18E000". As such names within the context of a palette provide added value
> to our users.
>
> That you have no use for it doesn't mean that it is an unwanted feature.

The point stated is that a certain color picked does not autometically get
associated with the name given.
In fact this can not be done since one color can have more then one name.
In Lennys design this is avoided since the name is removed from the
color panel, and a color<->name releation is not 1<->1 .

Your worry for using color names with can be solved by creating additional
color space(s) which use these names to replace the color selection box.
So we have "RGB", "HSV", "Named Colors" etc.