List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KColorDialog (everybody loves screenshots)
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-08-29 18:31:43

On Wednesday 29 August 2001 11:01 am, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 10:35:50AM -0700, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > On Tuesday 28 August 2001 05:18 am, Lenny wrote:
> > > 3) I removed the color-name because it's really redundant. Since
> > > color->color-name mapping doesn't work (if you manipulate a color, the
> > > name of a matching named-color doesn't get recognized) and the color
> > > changes when you chose a different palette, the color-name only worked
> > > in conjunction with the named-color-palette => redundant information.
> >
> > Redundant means that the information is available through other means
> > already. Ths is not the case, the color name is additional information
> > and is not available by any other means. Therefore it should stay,
>
> Correct argument, Lenny showed us not that its redundent, but more why its
> not correctly implemented and will (for practical reasons) never be.

The name is provided in the context of the palette, (without that context you
have a 1->N mapping between color->name), if the lookup of a color-name
doesn't work then that should be fixed.

> This is not called redundant, its called a bug or unwanted feature.

Whether you want a feature or not is based on your judgement, it doesn't
follow from anything raised by Lenny.

> That is why I don't agree with your conclusion that it should stay, there
> is no extra value in keeping it.
> And in the end a value that costs more then it is wearth gets a call for
> redundancy ;)

Colors are often identified by their name, if you have a corporate logo with
three shades of green, you may want to name those colors "tail green", "eyes
green" and "body green". When you now make a palette for your corporate
colors you want to be able to see those names to correctly identify the
colors. After all, you don't want to use "tail green" for the eyes, and you
don't want to use "eyes green" for the tail of your logo. "tail green" is
more informative than #02F022 and "eyes green" is more informative than
"#18E000". As such names within the context of a palette provide added value
to our users.

That you have no use for it doesn't mean that it is an unwanted feature.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
KDE 2.2: We deliver.