List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Desktop icons auto-placement back...
From:       aleXXX <alexander.neundorf () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-08-28 16:26:07

On Tue 28 Aug 01 11:00, David Faure wrote:
> On Mardi 28 Août 2001 11:45, Michael Goffioul wrote:
> > David Faure wrote:

> > > Can you explain this more in details ?
> > > I don't read kde-devel so I think I never read a description of this
> > > bug, only references to it....

/me points to lists.kde.org ;-)

> > First, all my previous desktop layout is lost and all icons are
> > vertically aligned on the left side in alphabeticale order.
>
> If this is when upgrading to KDE-2.2. for the first time, it's a known bug
> and it's fixed (the "new release" code was copying over an almost empty
> .directory file). Otherwise, it's indeed a remaining bug. How is it
> triggered ? (what event makes it happen?). Are the coordinates in the
> .directory file sensible ?
>
> > Second, when I try to move an icon, it
> > immediately gets back to its original position on the left side: it's
> > impossible to move any icon.
>
> Ouch. I can't see how this happens (icons are moved upon listing or
> renaming, but when the user moves them the program doesn't interfer.....).
> Hmm, unless some sort of "auto-arrange" gets triggered, but... well there's
> no such feature yet (and the QIconView one is disabled).
>
> I need either a way to reproduce this, or debug output....

I would be happy if I knew how.
Maybe you remember that I had this bug too and suddenly it didn't appear
anymore. It always worked correctly when I killed the startkde-kdesktop and
started kdesktop "by hand".

Well, the more strange, some days ago suddenly the bug came back ! (I didn't
update kdesktop)
The icons were lined up on the left side, after moving they jumped back. And
even more strange, they were rearranged at a constant rate, i.e. they were
flickering. The rearrangement rate might be the same as the KDirWatch rate.
The flickering stopped after clicking around and deleting some files from the
desktop (I know this probably doesn't help much :-(

Good luck
Alex