List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Sidebars? (Re: Electric Borders are back!)
From:       Ralf Nolden <nolden () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-08-28 9:04:30

On Dienstag, 28. August 2001 06:52, Thomas Diehl wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Aug 2001 23:22:34 +0200, Thomas Zander wrote:
> >> And please rename "Electric Borders" to something else, without trying
> >> nobody (at least not me) can imagine what this means. How about "Active
> >> desktop borders"
> >
> >I still don't know what it means (being honest here!), calling a feature a
> >special kind of borders does not tell me what the feature does.
>
> Totally agreed. So while we are at it: How about renaming the
> "Sidebars" (in Konqueror and KDevelop) to "Navigation Panels" as
> suggested by several people in the doc writers team?
>
> *  The name "sidebar" says nothing about what it does
> *  Those areas are certainly not "bars" in the way we are usually
> talking about bars in KDE (tool bars, status bars)
> *  People who don't know the term "sidebar" already from eg Netscape
> will probably confuse it with the button bar of the "Sidebar TNG"

Speaking of sidebars...I have one suggestion that I urge to pick up for KDE3.
That is to make the current two konqueror sidebars one, because it basically
confuses people more than it helps to have two. What basically should be done
to make it that usable for both variants. As the TNG sidebar covers the
functionality of the normal one, I would be in favour of even dropping the
normal one in favour of the TNG one. (given that the TNG now can handle the
rmb commands *g*

Ralf

> At any rate, I think we should find something more descriptive. The
> single fact that Netscape use a certain term doesn't automatically
> justify its use in KDE.
>
> Regards,
>
> Thomas
>

> ---
> KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org/
> Deutsche KDE-Uebersetzung: http://i18n.kde.org/teams/de/

Ralf Nolden
nolden@kde.org

The K Desktop Environment	The KDevelop Project
http://www.kde.org		http://www.kdevelop.org