List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: automated user CVS
From:       Carsten Pfeiffer <carpdjih () cetus ! zrz ! tu-berlin ! de>
Date:       2001-08-24 21:39:26

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 10:10:40PM +0200, David Faure wrote:

> I would think that we want something a bit more high-level for KOffice documents.
> I.e. changes in the text and changes in the formatting shouldn't be presented
> the same way at all. I wonder which solution's easier, between parsing the output

Yes, definitely.

> of an XML-diff to figure out what's what, and saving as text, using raw diff,
> and applying the formatting to the lines being shown (plus noticing changes
> in formatting only...). Hmm, I guess it all depends on how useable the output of
> the XML diff looks like - any examples ?
>
> David, who has been looking for such a tool in his previous job and didn't find
> any free one at the time....

StarWriter has some sort of revision support. You can select Edit (?) -> Record changes
and Edit -> Show changes. Additionally, you can say "Accept changes", where it clears
previous editions, I guess (never used that). Changes are shown in a different color
in the text (every author gets one color). Changes are shown by striking-through the
old text and adding the new text. For every change, there is a marker at the side of
the document (left or right) in the same line, for easy lookup.

Cheers
Carsten Pfeiffer