List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: qt 3
From:       Dirk Mueller <mueller () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-08-23 14:49:20

On Don, 23 Aug 2001, Marc Mutz wrote:

> Something that regularly went wrong was kcharsets.h, and for obvious
> reasons: It concerns itself with QFont::CharSet, which is no longer
> there due to it being encapsulated inside QFont. What should be done
> with it? I don't want to work on it, but I need to know as early as
> possible because KNode, KMail and KMime do much handling with charsets.

Well, I suspect most of this charset handling is obsolete. so setQFont etc
will become effectively a null function encapsulated in #ifndef
KDE_NO_COMPAT.

I'll have a look which part of the API might be useful for other things, the
rest will be dropped. Suggestions welcome.

> Are there any plans for this? I've not seen someone posting about these
> kind of issues here yet. There should be an overall plan for things
> that need more fixing than a
> s/QList/QPtrList/g
> and
> #if QT_VERSION < 290
> #include <qlist.h>
> #define QPtrList QList
> #else
> #include <qptrlist.h>
> #endif

Yes, another part is QTableView and QMultiLineEdit, which we use in several
places in kdelibs.

> Also: can the people working on kdelibs please start with the header
> files? This way, the people working on the other modules can start
> earlier to test at least compilation, and linking can come later.

good idea.

> possibly need much work to get right in the port. QRegExp's changed
> syntax together with it being implicitely used in QString::find is one
> example, another one being the changes to QFont.

Yeah, but both should make the life much easier.

> "What do we do with KCharsets?"

I think Simon did most of the necessary API changes there already. I'll have
a look at the rest.

> I have defined three level of porting (well, four, counting "compiles
> and links" as fourth) each individual file. You can see it in
> kdenetwork/libkdenetwork/QT3.status. It would be cool if other would
> use this format, too.

I personally don't thin its worth the effort keeping track of this.

Dirk