List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Kicker extension
From:       Michael Goffioul <goffioul () imec ! be>
Date:       2001-08-23 10:07:36

> > That's what I thought also. But I think we should keep it (you never know)
> > and rename it. Maybe it can also be integrated in libkicker?
>
> AFAIR the DCOP menus are no longer part of kicker, so removing the client
> class is a good idea.

Before starting to hack kicker, I tried with DCOP menus and it worked. You
can plug menu entries using DCOP calls using this utility class. However
the fact to keep this class or not is not my decision, so at first time
I propose to rename it.

> We should keep the KPanel* classes in kdeui to maintain source compatibility.
> Existing applets outside of KDE cvs do not link against libkicker.

So, last suggestion: don't mess with libkicker and add PanelMenu (renamed as
KPanelMenu; the class from base_mnu.h) to kdeui. Maybe it's better like that.
Is this OK?

Now IMHO, libkicker is a better way because of:
- consistency: AFAIK it doesn't make sense to develop kicker extensions without
  having kicker at least installed (OTOH, if kicker's technology is shared by
  other panels, then it can make sense)
- lib size: you slightly reduce the size of kdeui (which is shared by all KDE
  apps, but not all of them are applets, ...)
- I didn't know we had to keep source compatibility for KDE-3. But I don't want
  to start a thread on it. If it's so, then it's OK for me.

Bye.
Michael.

Michael Goffioul		IMEC-DESICS-MIRA
e-mail: goffioul@imec.be	(Mixed-Signal and RF Applications)
Tel:    +32/16/28-8510		Kapeldreef, 75
Fax:    +32/16/28-1515		3001 HEVERLEE, BELGIUM