List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: qt 3
From:       Dirk Mueller <mueller () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-08-23 8:57:47

On Mit, 22 Aug 2001, Charles Samuels wrote:

> I see qt-copy has had something done to it, David is removing Qt3 stuff from
> koffice.  What's the status, then, on our switching to Qt3 ?

We will switch to Qt 3 as main Qt version for CVS HEAD when Qt 3.0.0-beta4
is released. Meanwhile Qt 3 porting is appreciated, thats why I imported a
snapshot in qt-copy.

In my opinion CVS HEAD should till the switch still work with Qt 2, but if
the majority wants to break Qt2-compatibility right now its fine with me.
Its just a matter of a few days anyway.

The advantages of having both somehow working ( with #ifdef's where
necessary) is that you can review the porting changes and see what got
broken by it. if somebody just commits a patch to make it compile with Qt3
its a bit more difficult to follow. Please note that the focus is NOT
rewriting code or adding lots of features but to make a clean and
straightforward (and correct port). KDE 2.2 isn't really stable as we know
now, so KDE3 snapshots should become a good replacement in the near future.

Dirk