List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Kicker extension
From:       Michael Goffioul <goffioul () imec ! be>
Date:       2001-08-23 8:55:27

> > Now, I'll think I'll wait for some reaction from a real kicker
> > maintainer to know what to do with the code (throw it, commit it or
> > adapt it before commiting).
>
> Nice work. Commit it.

OK, here's my proposal:
- create a libkicker shared library to contain the various extensions
  interfaces.
- move base_mnu.* to that library, and renaming it to panelmenu.*. Note
  that KPanelMenu already exists in kdeui for a different purpose.
- move (part of) the variables of PanelMenu class to a PanelMenuPrivate
  d pointer to ensure BC in the future.
- add some basic doc to the header file.

I'll do it today, and if there's no objection until tomorrow morning, I'll
commit the whole thing to the HEAD branch (along with kdeprint patch and
kdeprint menu example).

A good thing would then be to move the 2 other extensions (kpanelapplet and
kpanelextension) from kdeui to this libkicker library. And to keep consistency
PanelMenu should be renamed to KPanelMenu, the class in kdeui must then
be renamed to something different (KPanelDCOPMenu, KPanelExtMenu,
KPanelAppMenu, ...). But I won't do that at first time, I'll only put my
PanelMenu in libkicker, keeping the name unchanged.

And last but not least, there should be a mechanism to configure which menus
will be added in the K-menu. This can be done in the control module. However
I don't think I'll do it myself, so if anyone would be kind to do that, it
would be nice.

Michael Goffioul		IMEC-DESICS-MIRA
e-mail: goffioul@imec.be	(Mixed-Signal and RF Applications)
Tel:    +32/16/28-8510		Kapeldreef, 75
Fax:    +32/16/28-1515		3001 HEVERLEE, BELGIUM