List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Settings vs. View
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-08-01 18:32:13

On Wednesday 01 August 2001 08:52 am, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 August 2001 02:40 am, Lenny wrote:
> > On Tuesday 31 July 2001 23:39, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > > look'n feel from implementation, is the day it matured.". Look&feel
> > > should be driven by concepts and it doesn't hurt, on the contrary, if
> > > implemenation follows the concepts closesy. That may very well result
> > > in a more or less direct mapping between look&feel and implementation.
> > > The big issue is not to mistake cause and effect, implementation should
> > > follow the concepts, it shouldn't drive them.
> >
> > But that's what we - Martijn and me - critisize: in some areas it's the
> > other way around.
>
> Is it? Because in the case that you describe it was a deliberate decision
> to do it the way we do it.

Coming back to this there is an issue that is implementation driven, we have
a settings menu containing things like:

Configure toolbars
Configure keys
Configure <appname>

The reason that we have 3 of those instead of 1 is mostly because of
implementation reasons. Reducing that to a single entry that covers all
functionality might reduce the confusion that you mentioned.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
Andrei Sakharov, Exiled 1980-1986, USSR, http://www.aip.org/history/sakharov/