List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: konsole patch to disable argument inheriting by new sessions by default
From:       Antonio Larrosa =?iso-8859-1?q?Jim=E9nez?= <larrosa () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-07-31 2:11:49

El Mar 31 Jul 2001 03:32, Malte Starostik escribió:
> Am Dienstag, 31. Juli 2001 03:21 schrieb Antonio Larrosa Jiménez:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Well, the subject says it all.
> >
> > This patch disables the "feature" that makes new sessions (opened by
> > using the New button) run the same commands than the first one run
> > specified in the -e argument.
> >
> > I think it was a bad idea to implement it in the first place, but in
> > case I'm being blind or something, I've made it configurable (but
> > disabled by default). The only way to turn it on is by editing the
> > konsolerc file manually and setting inheritArgs to true.
> >
> > Please, review, commit it and tag it to be included into 2.2 .
>
> I stronlgy support this, for two reasons:
> * (okay, selfish :) I frequently run konsole -e screen -r <name> via the
> popup menu in kicker's konsole button, and then the New Session button
> tries to attach to the session again which of course fails

Well, I implemented the patch for selfish reasons too :)
My kppp runs some konsoles with -e "fetchmail" and -e "updateCVS" which is
a script that runs "cvs update" for all my checked out modules.
Obviously, I cannot use those windows for anything more even when konsole
has that nice multiple session feature.

> * (not that selfish) someone might start konsole with -e <some
> destructive command> and not knowing that the command will be carried to
> new sessions, click New Session to open a plain shell and - bang the
> destructive action is repeated...

right. That makes me wonder if this should be removed too for restored
konsoles (by the session manager).

Btw, don't ask me why, but if you get crashes when starting konsole from
kicker, just run "make clean" in kdebase/konsole and recompile konsole. In
other case, it seems that just adding a new variable to the Konsole class
has a strange effect where konsole runs fine from within a "konsole", but
it segfaults if it's run from kicker in XMLGUIBuilder's constructor.

Greetings,

--
Antonio Larrosa Jimenez
KDE Core developer  - larrosa@kde.org