List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Some kpersonalizer bugs (and fixes)
From:       Hans Petter Bieker <bieker () stud ! ntnu ! no>
Date:       2001-07-30 14:56:55

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Lukas Tinkl wrote:

> One more thing (even more important): even if it detects the right langua=
ge
> and country, it doesn't set the corresponding charset correctly nor does =
it
> give you the choice to do it by hand. This is a must as iso8859-1 doesn't
> help anyone outside Western Europe/Americas.

And by charset you mean the charset you set in kcmlocale? Right.. I think
we talked about this before.

We could add a default charset to the language files. The reason why we
didn't do this was that this doesn't really have anything to do with the
translation. You would still have a problem if you prefered English to
your native language, but wanted to be able to read or write text in that
language. AFAIK Qt 3 is supposed to fix this problem, but that doesn't
help us very much now.

The solution is the make sure that the user selects a charset/font which
supports the chosen language. We should perhaps add some tests which
ensures that it's possible to display text written in the chosen
language with the current font/charset combination. Perhaps QFont has some
methods for that. Each language can supply a sample text string with
special symbols used in that translation. If the chosen QFont is not able
to display all the symbols, it should pop up an warning. Perhaps it should
even be possible to download/install the fonts directly from
kpersonalizer. MS IE has got something like that for the web.

Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Engineering Cybernetics
          bieker@stud.ntnu.no / bieker@kde.org / +47 97651633
                Dagaliveien 25 A  |  Elgesetergate 23 B
                N-0776 Oslo       |  N-7030 Trondheim
  Siste nytt fra industrien finner du p=E5: WWW.Industri-Informasjon.NO