List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: MS ICO write in kimgio still is broken
From:       Claudiu Costin <claudiuc () work ! ro>
Date:       2001-07-30 9:21:21

            Hello all,
[snip]

> > P.S. There is _no_ program in Linux to make MS ICO 16x16 - 16 colors.
> > The free one is an on-line java app at www.favicon.com
>
> Sorry, forgot about that one. Should be fixed now, please test. Maybe one
> time after the release I'll find some time to add real support for
> multi-icon .ICOs and user-selectable colour depths to KIconEdit. At least
> with kxpm2ico you should be able to generate valid .ICO files now.
   Nope. It work, I mean it show some something, but only garbage.
It's more than  double height problem. Sorry that you have to read
MS ICO specs too close.

 Way to solve:
   * grab MS ICO specs :)
   * make a simple XMP file (16x16 -16 colors) with some drawings on it
   * go to http://www.favicon.com, make above icon with their editor
and download it in your mailbox (see details on that site)
   * run icoinfo.pl (which I send to you) and find differences
from kimgio generated MS ICO and Favicon.com.
Making Microsoft things works is a challenge :)

Use this HTML page:

<HEAD>
<LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="http://yoursite/hello.ico">
<TITLE>Favicon test</TITLE>
</HEAD>

P.S. Please use Internet Explorer 5.0 to test icons and of course Explorer
(in Find (aka find.exe) dialog  it show previews)
P.S.S. Don't forget to clean Explorer cache (after you close it!)

kind regards,
--
Claudiu Costin
<claudiuc@work.ro>