List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Japanese support
From:       Lars Knoll <knoll () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-07-30 7:09:44

On Monday 30 July 2001 08:51, Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:
> Our Japanese people say we need to apply the patches from
> http://www.kde.gr.jp/patch/ for KDE to work properly in Japanese. Can
> someone who actually understands i18n stuff take a look at them? If
> they're really needed, they should probably go into 2.2...

We had a look at some of the Qt patches in there. You need to be careful with
them, as they might make things work a bit better with Japanese, but often
broke things completely for other asian languages.

The khtml patch for autodetection of japanese encodings looks interesting.
I'll need to look into that one, but I don't want to add it for 2.2 anymore,
as it needs testing. Maybe 2.2.1.

The knewsticker patch looks simple and probably right, the kmail patch might
be worth considering.

I can't really judge the other ones without more detailed look into them.

Cheers,
Lars