List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: KConfig changes for 3.0
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-07-25 18:05:50

On Wednesday 25 July 2001 15:29, Moritz Moeller-Herrmann wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 02:02:23PM +0200, Rob Kaper wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Please give some input on the following idea. For KConfig in 3.0 I would
> > like to see the following changes:
> >
> > - allow "default" as readable value even for boolean entries etcetera,
>
> More compatible and just as good would be to save the entry, check if
> it is identical to default, and if yes prepend a
> # DEFAULT#:

Please, no!
Then I cannot forcedly set a setting to take effect _even_ if the admin
changes it. A user really should be able to set his proxy to 1.2.3.4 _or_ use
the default that happens-to-be-set-to-1.2.3.4-but-can-change-later!

Again, I don't know how to design a proper GUI around that, but I think the
technical side should be tackled first here.

> > - add a description QString to each key and group
>
> Good idea and let ther be compiler warnings and debug output in
> kconfig for entries without those.

And a hint! The description is then the "what's this?" help and the hint is
the tooltip. And making them mandatory sounds good to me, or indeed at the
very least issue a fat warning...

Martijn