List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: KConfig changes for 3.0
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-07-25 17:28:34

On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 07:40:18AM -0700, Charles Samuels wrote:

> In addition to Rob's comments, we should eliminate the obvious lack of OO
> safety in KConfig and always explicitly set a group when accessing a key.
>
> My personal favorite way is a group(QString) function that returns a
> temporary KConfigGroup.
>
> In other words
>
> config->group("Some Group Name")->readEntry("Some Key");

This is an excellent, excellent idea.
And with a KConfigGroup * you could cache the value of config->group("Some Group Name")
in case you're reading multiple keys from it.
And it's not hard to keep source compat, with the readEntry and setGroup
still available in KConfigBase.
And it's not hard to implement either :)

Yes yes yes, this gets a 100000% vote from me :)

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org