List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KFontCombo speed
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-07-24 15:56:34

On Tuesday 24 July 2001 16:53, Rik Hemsley wrote:
> Anyone have an idea how to work around the sluggishness ?

Does it paint only what is visible, or does it preprocess all entries upon
initializing? I think the best would be to setup the entire combo in the
background while the app is idle, but only load initially what is actually
visible. That is, the constructor doesn't generate any preview and upon drop
down only the visible entries are immediately processed. The lazy loading of
the remaining entries can be done directly after the constructor, as long as
that is marked as an idle-time event (how does one do that in Qt btw?)

Note: Maybe the combo does all of this already, I don't know the code. These
are just some ideas I have, I hope they make people think about them so we
can come up with something useful. In short: no flames if I don't add
anything useful ;-)

Martijn