List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    KFontCombo speed
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-07-24 14:53:04

One thing I think should be fixed before 2.2 is KFontCombo. It feels
sluggish even with a very small number of fonts. I reduced my font
count from 550 to 20 and it's still slow.

I thought perhaps we could keep an on-disk store of font preview
images, which is created/updated at KDE startup, but I don't think
this is feasible.

The cache would have to store pixmaps for every possible point size,
in every combination of bold, italic, underline and strikeout, and
it would have to hold > 1 bit depth images which would be painted
using alpha values. Ugh.

Anyone have an idea how to work around the sluggishness ?

Rik