List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: What to do after 2.2?
From:       Lars Knoll <knoll () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-07-16 6:28:46

On Sunday 15 July 2001 14:51, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:
> Bero,
>
> I'm affraid you're missing here 1 point...
>
> The plan (if I understood it correctly) is:
>
> 2.2 - release within 2 weeks
> 2.9 - full port of KDE from QT 2.3.1 to QT 3.0 beta 2,3, whatever..
> 3.0 - which is KDE 2.9 + additional features.
>
> Now, you might think it's short - but it's surely won't. Just an example -
> currently the bidi in Konqueror is totallty different then whats on QT 3.0.
> Thats why many bugs in Bidi cannot be fixed right now, so the bidi stuff
> will have to be replaced with QT 3.0 bidi implementations.

Not true. Look at the code. The algorithm is almost the same, and I don't
really know of any open BiDi bugs in there. If you do, send them to me. I
don't see any reason to replace the BiDi implementation in khtml by the one
in Qt. It's just a lot of work for nothing.

Concerning khtml: We will just continue doing our fixes as we did before.
Maybe we will even do most of the work in the 2.2 branch then, to get another
stable release of html/kjs out. It is even easily possible to support both
Qt-2 and Qt-3 at the same time in khtml (I've tried). Nothing has been
decided here.

Lars