List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: What to do after 2.2?
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-07-15 21:01:56

On Sunday 15 July 2001 02:09 am, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:
> I do, and here is my point...
>
> If this plan goes out - then KDE 2.x life cycle will be a ... week! (yes, 7
> days, no spelling mistake)

?? I don't see that. If we manage to release KDE 3.0 in November 2001, the
lifecycle of KDE 2.x has been about 12 months. I think that's too short for a
stable platform but considerably more than 7 days.

Although I think that 12 months is too short, I do recognize that it makes
little sense artificially prolong it. I think we have proven in the 2.x
series that we are able to put out a stable platform and if it wasn't for Qt
3 / gcc we could keep it that way for some time to come. So KDE is ready, and
hopefully with their 3.x versions, Qt and gcc are ready for a long stable
period as well.

> 1. Yes, QT 3.0 beta 2 is basically frozen, and we got hebrew/arabic support
> which is what I need, thats good..

Yes.

> 2. You'll need to work with gcc 3.x - but as many people can tell you - the
> gcc 3.0 is not in great shape right now (try to compile KDE 2.2 on it and
> see if all the things work to see what I mean) - so we'll need to either
> stick with 2.95.x or wait for 3.0.1 - which is - bad

No, that is a misunderstanding. We don't require gcc 3.x. We want to be able
to use gcc 3.x for our release so that the BC of the platform doesn't need to
be broken. However, KDE 3.0 should compile just fine with gcc 2.9x.

> 3. Many people want to add their features which they worked on while KDE
> 2.2 is in feature freeze session (examples - Staikos on security, kentz on
> KDE installer, and the fonts installer [forgot the author name - sorry].
> Telling them to drop everything they did while it was feature freeze
> because we're moving to 2.9/3.0 is definately not nice and definately
> unprofessional..

No, nobody is doing that. Whatever you write for KDE 2.3 should work with KDE
3.0 as well, apart from some adaptions for Qt 3. There are a few areas that
will be obsoleted because Qt 3.0 provides new or other functionality for
those areas. One of them is widget styles, another one is databases (Which is
the reason kde-db was dropped for KDE 2.2)

Cheers,
Waldo
--
I don't suffer from insanity,