List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: What to do after 2.2?
From:       Dirk Mueller <dmuell () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-07-15 13:49:26

Moin Hetz!

> As you know, dirk and harry (if I'm not mistaken) were working  on the kjs
> engine and improving khtml. Not doing the KDE 2.3 will simply leave me and
> many users stuck with Konqueror  which is currently not the most stable
> version that we know, unfinished KJS engine (with garbage collector if I
> understood dirk correctly), and with some others bugs that we still have (the
> printing problem that I mentioned in my previous email for example)...

khtml and kjs are special as they're widely independent from the rest of the
KDE infrastructure. It should be easy to keep khtml working with both Qt 2.x
and Qt 3.x at the same time - and I guess we will. that means we can release
bugfixes of our "working branch" of khtml for KDE 2.2.1 and 3.0 at the same
time - given that the one who creates the branch leaves khtml and kjs out.

That's our goal, so don't make any decision depend on khtml - we can adapt.

That said, the move to Qt 3 _has_ to be done ASAP and it _should_ be
synchronized with the distributions going to gcc 3.

Therefore it would be great if Redhat (which is usually the distribution
which makes most of the problems) could state on when they intend to switch
to gcc 3 - as gcc 3 is anyway binary incompatible to their 2.96 invention we
should be able to release a Qt 3 based version at that time.

Dirk