List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: What to do after 2.2?
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-07-13 19:26:43

#if Martijn Klingens
> On Friday 13 July 2001 16:25, Lars Knoll wrote:
> > Binary compatibility would be broken by such a step anyway, and is actually
> > rather unimportant. Source compatibility is what matters, and I'm pretty
> > confident we can do such a move without breaking source compatibility in
> > more than one or two places.
>
> Would it be possible to provide a set of stub functions that emulate the 2.x
> API that are _not_ source compatible in a libkde2emu or so? That way no
> porting at all is probably necessary. Note: I don't have any serious
> knowledge on this subject, I really don't know against what obstacles one
> would run when trying this. Also, I don't know at what particular places
> source compat will be broken (except for the style engine, but that's not a
> really big problem - I'm looking forward to the new one anyway).
>
> Could someone explain in short if such a lib is possible and if not
> (probably), why? Like many other people in the previous mails, I'm not
> that much concerned about BC, but all the more about source compat.

C++ doesn't really work like that. If you remove a method from a class
definition, you can't just put it in a compatibility library.

I think the preferred way to maintain backwards compatibility would be
to mark methods as as deprecated in the documentation, where it is
possible to keep the methods without causing a major headache.

Rik