List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: What to do after 2.2?
From:       Neil Stevens <neil () qualityassistant ! com>
Date:       2001-07-13 23:30:25

On Friday July 13, 2001 03:26, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Friday 13 July 2001 02:23 pm, Rob Kaper wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 05:02:44PM -0400, Dawit Alemayehu wrote:
> > > FWIW, I second this as well.  We should only have one clean port
> > > from using QT 2.x series to QT 3.x series and Waldo's reasoning for
> > > waiting to get a stable version of gcc in addition to Qt 3.0 makes
> > > perfect sense. In the meantime I am sure we, at least I, have
> > > several new features to implement and many bugs to fix to make KDE
> > > 2.3 even more attractive to end users and independent app developers
> > > alike.
> >
> > By the time we will release the next major version of KDE (somewhere
> > in December?), gcc and Qt should have that stable release and
> > distributions will be using those.
> >
> > When it comes to breaking BC and the API, I think it's important to
> > think about the releases and not about CVS code.
>
> I don't like to be in a situation where you have your code ready but
> can't release because you are depending on something else that isn't
> ready. KOffice 1.0 was delayed with more than a year waiting for KDE 2.0
> to come out. That was a very bad position to be in.

Qt and gcc are nearly ready, though.  Last I heard, gcc 3 only fails to
compile aRts.  Qt 3 is in beta 2.

> Maybe we can go with a parallel approach where we go for a KDE 2.3 and
> have people working on a Qt 3 port as well. From my understanding
> porting to Qt 3 only requires actual work in a few select problem areas
> (e.g. like the styles). Those problems can then be addressed while we
> work on KDE 2.3, once KDE 2.3 has been released we should be able to
> move to KDE 3 very fast because we only have the trivial porting parts
> left then.

So would the KDE 2.3 be a partial release, of only those apps that are
maintained in the 2.3 branch anymore?

--
Neil Stevens
neil@qualityassistant.com

Don't think of a bug as a problem.  Think of it as a call to action.