List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: What to do after 2.2?
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-07-13 22:26:17

On Friday 13 July 2001 02:23 pm, Rob Kaper wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 05:02:44PM -0400, Dawit Alemayehu wrote:
> > FWIW, I second this as well.  We should only have one clean port from
> > using QT 2.x series to QT 3.x series and Waldo's reasoning for waiting to
> > get a stable version of gcc in addition to Qt 3.0 makes perfect sense.
> > In the meantime I am sure we, at least I, have several new features to
> > implement and many bugs to fix to make KDE 2.3 even more attractive to
> > end users and independent app developers alike.
>
> By the time we will release the next major version of KDE (somewhere in
> December?), gcc and Qt should have that stable release and distributions
> will be using those.
>
> When it comes to breaking BC and the API, I think it's important to think
> about the releases and not about CVS code.

I don't like to be in a situation where you have your code ready but can't
release because you are depending on something else that isn't ready. KOffice
1.0 was delayed with more than a year waiting for KDE 2.0 to come out. That
was a very bad position to be in.

Maybe we can go with a parallel approach where we go for a KDE 2.3 and have
people working on a Qt 3 port as well. From my understanding porting to Qt 3
only requires actual work in a few select problem areas (e.g. like the
styles). Those problems can then be addressed while we work on KDE 2.3, once
KDE 2.3 has been released we should be able to move to KDE 3 very fast
because we only have the trivial porting parts left then.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
I don't suffer from insanity,