List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: What to do after 2.2?
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2001-07-13 20:07:15

Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Jul 2001, George Staikos wrote:
>
> >    Personally I'll be pretty pissed off if I have to recompile all my apps
> > barely a year after 2.0 came out.  Yeah the new features are nice and all,
> > but breaking applications is very unprofessional.
>
> But it can't be avoided.
> If we switch to 3.0 now, 3.x will at least have a very long lifetime.
>
> I think the problem with existing applications gets bigger, not smaller -
> if we break the ABI now, we'll break maybe 100 binary applications. If we
> break the ABI 4 months from now, we'll break 300.
>
> Besides, the imminent switch to 3.x on most Linux distributions and
> probably most other OSes (*BSD) will break the ABI anyway for most of us -
> there's no point in breaking it twice (2.2/gcc 2.x, 2.3/gcc 3.x, 3.x).
> I'd rather go (2.2/gcc 2.x -> 3.0/gcc 3.x).

Hi,

Just to throw my $0.02 in, this is the single most persuasive point I've
heard.

BTW, how hard is it to switch the style stuff?  What's involved?  Can
some carefully-thought-out preg_replace's handle this (using some
maybe-not-so-clever-but-workable defaults) or is it plainly impossible
to automate the update?

Ciao,

Dre