List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: US-specific shortcuts
From:       Ellis Whitehead <kde () ellisw ! net>
Date:       2001-07-10 18:23:15

Hi Malte,

> However on a German keyboard,
> those keys are rather unrelated: + (one key below its US location) and =
> (shift-0 [zero]) are on different keys
It's true that Meta+= and Meta++ are separated on the German keyboard, but so
would something like Meta+M (maximize) and Meta+H (max horizontal) be.  The
thinking behind the assignments wasn't to get them on the same keys, but to
avoid conflict with other shortcuts and have them be somewhat rememberable.
Most of the minimize/maximize shortcuts are infrequently used, so having them
relegated to less handy combinations isn't
inappropriate.

> I could imagine
> there are other layouts with differences to the US layout when it comes to
> such characters.
This is an issue which is important to keep in mind so that shortcuts which
are impossible for certain layouts are avoided.  But since the +,-,=,|
shortcuts are possible, I don't see that having them at different positions
and requiring varying modifiers on different layouts is a problem...  More
problematic for the German/English typist is that Z & Y switch. ;)

In regard to Meta+<anyletter> shorcuts, I would contend they they should
generally be left free for user-defined shortcuts (e.g, Meta+M for KMail and
Meta+H for KHexedit).

Regards,
Ellis