List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kxkbd default ?
From:       Ellis Whitehead <kde () ellisw ! net>
Date:       2001-07-02 22:01:26

I agree with Dirk that it should be off by default and respect the X
settings.  However, I think there may be a little bit of a misunderstanding
here.  It looks like it's on in kcontrol ONLY (since at least January), but
always off by default in kxkb itself.

From kdebase/kxkb/kcmlayout.cpp
  bool use = config->readBoolEntry( "Use", true );

From kdebase/kxkb/kxkb.cpp:
  if (config->readBoolEntry("Use", false) == false)

So it seems that as long as the user doesn't go peaking around in kcontrol |
Peripherals | Keyboard, it won't be turned on.  Checkout
kdebase/kxkb/kxkb.cpp & kdebase/kxkb/kcmlayout.cpp if you're interested.
Lubos made it possible to shut it off in kcontrol back in April.

I'll take the liberty of committing the following patch to line 177 of
kcmlayout.cpp in order to bring it in line with what's really happening in
kxkb.

-  bool use = config->readBoolEntry( "Use", true );
+  bool use = config->readBoolEntry( "Use", false );

BTW, the Print key will now work as a global shortcut independent of kxkb
being turned on or off.

Cheers,
Ellis