List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: This Week's CVS issues - week 26
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-06-30 9:30:53

On Saturday 30 June 2001 10:37, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> a) please test this patch:

[ ... ]

> Please give this a test. I think we really need those fixes in 2.2 and I
> would like to apply it if that is being agreed on.

A number of issues regarding this patch:
1. Is the warning about failed mouse grabs in the new KWin decos that I
reported to you yesterday gone now? I don't that it looks very professional
to have that warning, even though it seems to be harmless here.

2. The KWin tooltips are not behaviour compatible with other tooltips. In
KWin each button has its own timeout before the tooltip appears. In a
standard Qt app, if one widget shows a tooltip and you mouse the mouse to an
adjacent widget that also has a tooltip, the new tooltip is immediately
shown. In your KWin patch the tooltip is hidden instead and only shown if the
timeout is elapsed. Personally I find this less intuitive, though I don't
think this is a show-stopper for putting this in CVS.

3. You added a new groupbox to the Look&Feel->Style module in KControl with
one checkbox and 3 radio buttons. Since you can't possibly select something
from the radio buttons if the checkbox is checked and vice versa, I'd make
that first option part of the same (radio)buttongroup. That looks more like
what it actually means IMO. Internally you could always write a completely
different value to KConfig if the user selects the first option.

4. (This one is not really introduced by your patch, but not fixed either.) I
get a vertical scrollbar in the Style module because there are so many
options there. Is there a way to fix this? Maybe you can split the module in
two tabs, a 'Style' or 'General' tab with the style selector and the 'other
settings for drawing' groupbox. And a second tab 'Effects' or 'Advanced' with
the various effects we have now for menus, toolbars, tooltips and combo
boxes. Whatever you choose, please take a look at this, this module is a bit
overwhelming now ;-)

Apart from these issue: If you can solve at least #1, and preferably the
others as well, please commit if the translators are ok with your new
strings. The patch itself seems to work fine.

Martijn