List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: [OT] Re: How amusing... (was Re: Cervisia)
From:       Bernd Gehrmann <bernd () physik ! hu-berlin ! de>
Date:       2001-06-26 10:38:53

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> > I don't know how it is currently implemented. What I mean is
> > the required_uri_tester comment in
> > http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/oaf/docs/standard-attributes.txt
>
> (Funny to see that for them it's '(Not yet implemented.)' , too :-)

:-)

> I agree that it would be a useful feature though, although on the other
> hand I can imagine that it creates a good amount of overhead, to open
> and close a chunk of shared libraries for each and every URL. On the
> other hand it's hard to cache these values.

One option would be to load the library detecting the directory
type only once and never release it. One could also invent a
mechanism like 'directory can be viewed with part X if it contains
a file with a name foo', but if the only application for such a
thing is cvs, then it would be quite pointless ;-) Maybe in the
multimedia area there are similar needs, so one could learn from
it.

Bernd.