List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: adjusting lib version numbers
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-23 16:06:24

On Saturday 23 June 2001 06:03 am, aleXXX wrote:
> Hi,
>
> finally I took the time and figured out how to get .so.3.2.0 and so.1.2.0
> version numbers for libs.
>
> I am willing to change the Makefile.am's in kdelibs accordingly (after the
> beta).
> I think most people agreed that libs with different functionality and
> versions should have different version numbers (just look at Qt or any
> other lib). We didn't change the lib number from 2.0 to 2.1, but better
> change it now than never.
>
> Does anybody object ?

Yes, I do. Having version numbers suggests that mulpiple versions of the same
library can be used next to each other which is not the case. I think it will
increase the number of installation problems. Both users and distributions
have big problems with something as simple as setting KDEDIRS right I really
think this isn't going to make the situation better.

Apart from that I think changing the library versions is a rather labour
intensiv task. Sure, you want to do it for 2.2 but are you around for 2.3?
2.4? I don't think we can rely on your presence (or anybody else's) So for
this to be something that we keep doing it will need to be highly automated.

I'm also not convinced that the semantics of version numbers is the same on
all platforms that we support. Does libtool take care of that? Which
numbering do we use for 2.2? What for 2.2.1 and 2.2.2?

Cheers,
Waldo
--
As a first step to embrace the GPL,
Microsoft now too has added ideological statements to its EULA.