List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: SOAP <-> DCOP
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-22 15:55:38

On Friday 22 June 2001 07:07 am, Dan Pilone wrote:
> We have talked
> about extending DCOP to do this SOAP communication but haven't acutally
> done it yet.  The reason is that SOAP doesn't "quite" line up with what
> DCOP is doing now.  Meaning, we could do a lot of what DCOP does, but not
> quite all of it. (The two way registration, the interface discovery, etc.)
> We could let the actual calls be carried via soap though.  And as
> Kurt/Waldo pointed out, DCOP is currently using libICE as its transport.
> We'd need to put an HTTP transport in there, which would make security an
> issue again.  We may end up going the route of kxmlrpcd, where there is a
> seperate daemon running that talks to the dcopserver.  We haven't worked
> that out yet.

I would recommend that, design wise. DCOP is a very criticical piece of KDE
so we should try to keep it as simple as possible. E.g. a crash of the
DCOPserver is as bad as your X server crashing, you really want to have it
bugfree and the less lines of code, the closer you can get to that.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
As a first step to embrace the GPL,
Microsoft now too has added ideological statements to its EULA.