List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: SOAP <-> DCOP
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-22 15:53:46

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Rob Kaper wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 05:12:12PM +0200, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> > > Well are there any C++ DCOP libraries/classes that do not use Qt? (or C
> > > ones that do not use GTK for that matter)
> > >
> > > C++ != Qt
> >
> > But what's the problem with using/depending on Qt?
>
> In case you want to enable use a DCOP client in an application without
> GPLing it or buying a Qt license. (not my cup of tea, but I'm not saying
> others should not, GPL says nothing about communicating with other
> applications)

License Qt under the QPL and you can use pretty much any open source
license at no cost.

> Or in case you want to create a remote DCOP client on a system without Qt.

If DCOP uses only the non-GUI pieces of Qt, it is trivial to port them
over, since that is pretty much plain C++.

For example, in order to port a tool to AtheOS, one guy ported the non-GUI
Qt in about a week of afternoons.

> DCOP as protocol itself could be implemented without Qt, no? At least I got
> the impression that it would be nice to see DCOP appear outside of KDE as
> well.

It can. It is a bit more work, of course.

And as usual, if someone really really really wants it, he can do it ;-)

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@kde.org
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   KDE Developer (MFCH)
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Buenos Aires - Argentina
Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis. (Carlton, De rerum comoedia)