List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: SOAP <-> DCOP
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-22 5:21:07

On Thursday 21 June 2001 11:09 pm, Rik Hemsley wrote:
> Has anyone thought of gluing DCOP and SOAP together ? Does anyone know of
> any efforts in this area ? If there's nothing happening, I think I might
> have a go.
>
> Another question: Why does DCOP use ICE ? From what I've seen so far,
> digging into the DCOP code, it appears that dcopserver could simply run
> as a TCP server. I'm guessing I missed a reason. Authentication ?

We actually go to great length to disable TCP support in DCOP. I think we
have ICE-based authentication in place (but have no idea how strong it is)
and it is technically feasible to use DCOP over TCP. The reason that we don't
do it is because it is security-wise equivalent to a login-shell, and you
really don't want to set that open if it isn't necassery.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
As a first step to embrace the GPL,
Microsoft now too has added ideological statements to its EULA.