List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Upcoming 2.2 release schedule, bickering and bugs
From:       George Staikos <staikos () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-21 21:17:14

On Thursday 21 June 2001 17:10, Stefan Westerfeld wrote:

> > P.S. I would like to see 2.2 go out of the door as fast as possible. It
> > contains many improvements already that users should benefit from instead
> > of reporting long fixed bugs.
>
> I also think that it would be best to stick to the release schedule. I
> think the best way to ensure that we get quality releases is to tell every

   And my concern is that there is not much quality in this current release
as it stands right now.

> developer when we're going to release the next version. Then everybody can
> adjust his work to this timespan, and if everybody takes some care, the
> release will be stable in time.

    Not everyone can do that.  We're not all in high school, unemployed, or
employed to work on KDE you know....

> And even if some feature doesn't get included in this release, the frequent
> releases guarantee that you will have it in the next release, which is
> "pretty soon" anyway. Release early, release often.

  Then why is code that I had working before 2.0 was released _still_ not
making it into 2.2, over a year later?

   We're releasing too early, too often.  I know many people who use KDE now,
but few who even use 2.1.2.  Most people don't even upgrade their software as
fast as KDE releases are coming out.  At least not in the world I live in.

--

George Staikos