List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Upcoming 2.2 release schedule, bickering and bugs
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2001-06-21 21:10:23

   Hi!

On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 12:09:38PM +0200, Harri Porten wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, George Staikos wrote:
>
> > I'm not promoting adding any new features.  Just
> > cleaning up what we have... tying up loose ends...  finishing incomplete code.
> >
> [.....]
> >    Finally, on a related note pertaining to the future, I think we should
> > start making more detailed release plans including target feature lists.  I
> > know that many [perhaps most] features develop closer to the middle or end of
> > the development schedule, but I think it would help give us a better picture
> > of where each release is going and what should be focussed on.  People who
> > work on various components always have ideas on where things should go and
> > can at least give some input on what should be targetted for an upcoming
> > release.
>
> I know everybody is working very hard but I have one comment: Waldo has
> posted the release schedule a loooong time ago. Many developers (including
> me) have tried to adjust to that (including the inevitable small delays)
> by making realistic goals in terms of planned features. [...]
>
> P.S. I would like to see 2.2 go out of the door as fast as possible. It
> contains many improvements already that users should benefit from instead
> of reporting long fixed bugs.

I also think that it would be best to stick to the release schedule. I think
the best way to ensure that we get quality releases is to tell every developer
when we're going to release the next version. Then everybody can adjust his
work to this timespan, and if everybody takes some care, the release will be
stable in time.

And even if some feature doesn't get included in this release, the frequent
releases guarantee that you will have it in the next release, which is "pretty
soon" anyway. Release early, release often.

   Cu... Stefan