List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Upcoming 2.2 release schedule, bickering and bugs
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-21 12:41:58

On Thursday 21 June 2001 08:11, George Staikos wrote:

>    Now this brings me up to my major point.  I really feel that we should
> delay the release of 2.2 by approximately another month (or even more if
> necessary).  2.1.2 is quite stable and usable as released.  People can wait
> for most of these new features in 2.2, and quite honestly, I think 2.2
> still needs to cook.  I've seen all kinds of new code crammed in at the end
> here, and I'm sure it's not all done or "bug free" (whatever that means)
> yet.

Please don't delay 2.2. We should stick to our release plan. When the beta is
out, we still have a month for fixing bugs. If this shouldn"t be enough and
after this month of all developers only working on bug fixes and not adding
new features KDE is still not stable enough, we can still decide to release a
second beta instead of the final 2.2.

To delay the release now would only lead to people adding more last minute
features and introducing new potential bugs. The sooner we get 2.2 out the
sooner we can start working on better solutions, which require major changes
of the code. I don't think that just before a release is a good time to
cleanup code. We should just get KDE as stable as possible and do it "the
right way", when we have more time and no pressing release date.