List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: This Week's CVS issues
From:       Guillaume Laurent <glaurent () telegraph-road ! org>
Date:       2001-06-16 15:42:55

On Saturday 16 June 2001 16:30, Stephan Kulow wrote:

> 5000 lines? that makes a file with max 39MB(*) _for each session_ this is
> still a bit lot. As long as the line storing algorithm is that bad, I'd
> suggest not use that high number, but ~200

Ouch. Disk space is cheap, but this is pushing it a little. Note that we can
easily shorten this simply by reducing the block size. It just has to be
longer than the maximum nb of chars a physical line on the konsole is. On my
display (1808x1356) that about 250 chars.

> P.S. I did some testings and got 8K per line even though Guillaume (don't
> you have a nick name? :) said it would be 4K - which is of course still
> lot.

All I said was that, as far as I could see, BlockArray was opening only one
file. I'll have to check that again though, but honestly I don't claim any
expertise here. BlockArray is your code, I barely touched it. I just wrapped
the history mechanism around it, that's all :-).

And no, I don't have a nickname, although 'glaurent' is my usual login (a
friend used to call me "GNU Laurent" because of it), but I prefer Guillaume.
What's wrong with it anyway ? :-)

--
					Guillaume.
					http://www.telegraph-road.org