List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Documentation woes
From:       Lauri Watts <lauri () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-31 14:21:07

Hi everyone,

There are some issues with documentation that need a little attention, so I'm
giving everyone a heads-up.

I'd like to make it very clear there is absolutely no objection to having
developers writing their own documents, or arranging people to write them,
it's not like you need the documentation team's permission.

It is *really* important that someone *tells* me about this though, so I can
make sure it's off the todo list, and the "current status" web page.
(http://i18n.kde.org/teams/en/current.html in case you didn't know where to
find it.)

This way I don't go through what happened recently, where a third party
was working on a document, and we (neither the docs team nor the
application's maintainer) had no idea, so I had given a volunteer the go
ahead to take over the manual.  It's not the end of the world, it's not
really anyone's fault, a compromise has been worked out, and hopefully nobody
has been working in vain and duplicating effort.  Still, it could have been
avoided very easily.

There are several applications where developers write their own docs, and so
long as the docs are valid, that's great, it's one less thing for me to worry
about.  You'll likely have to put up with someone from the docs team going
through and doing a little work on the markup, to keep up with the legal
notices and trademark acknowledgements, but that's about all the interference
you'll get.

Note also that writing docs in anything other than English creates some
speciall difficulties when it comes to translation, so please, write your
original documentation in English (we have a proofreading team now, who will
be glad to help.)

So please, as a courtesy, if you intend looking after your own documentation,
tell us over in doculand!

A second thing, slightly related, is that some developers are struggling
along with documentation when they really don't want to.  It's very nice if
you are writing your own documentation, and some of the application
maintainers are more than happy to (see above.)  If it's a struggle however,
and is taking up more time than you have, again... tell me.  I'm not psychic,
and if I see that there is current and regularly updated documentation for an
application, it'll not get onto the todo list in the first place, and it'll
be marked as up to date on the current status page.  End result: nobody will
volunteer to help you.

So kind of the opposite of the last request, if you have an app in KDE CVS
are looking after your own documentation, and don't really want to be, then
please tell me, so I can start looking for help.  I can't promise it'll be
instant, or even soon, but there won't be any help at all if I don't know
it's needed.  I might even come up with the odd volunteer for kdenonbeta
apps, if they're new/maintained ones.

Finally: can we please *not* upload the entire documentation template to CVS
if you haven't written any docs, but want a document in place.  A simple "The
docs were incomplete when you installed this application, please ask any
questions on the appropriate KDE mailing lists" is much friendlier to the
users, and will definitely make the translators happy, than a dummy document
with fake contents.

That's all folks, back to your regularly scheduled coding,

Regards,

--
Lauri Watts
KDE Documentation coordinator